Vision Meters – AMI/AMR Capabilities
Vision Metering offers a number of AMI/AMR communication options to fit every deployment scenario
What is the Lora Alliance?
The LoRa Alliance is an open, non-profit association of members that believes the Internet of Things (IoT) era is now. It was initiated by industry leaders with a mission to standardize Low Power Wide Area Networks (LPWAN) being deployed around the world to enable Internet of Things (IoT), machine-tomachine (M2M), smart city, and industrial applications. The Alliance members will collaborate to drive the global success of the LoRa protocol (LoRaWAN), by sharing knowledge and experience to guarantee interoperability between operators in one open global standard.
In the US, LORA operates in the 900 MHz ISM bands. It’s a proven technology with AES 128 encrypted security from end to end. The user’s data is embedded in the LORA stack and can be from 11 bytes to 242 bytes. Range is at its maximum when small data packets are used. Higher data packets shorten the range of transmission.
LORA radios are ideally suited for electric, gas and water meter reading. They are very low power, with long range, up to 20 miles, and economical. Using a LORA system opens the door to multiple possibilities because the radios and gateways are made by many manufacturers and all communicate together. The Electric Utility Industry has wrestled with developing a standard protocol that allowed all manufacturers to play. Even today’s systems lock a utility into solely controlled protocol operated by one vendor. LORA is truly open and anyone can play.
The LORA radios transmit at about 100 ma or roughly 20 to 22 dbm. Longer distances can be covered with slower data rates and small packets. The LORA network operates in a Star configuration (point to point). Ideally the network would be arranged where each end device can hit 2 or 3 Gateways for redundancy. There are many LORA network operators that can handle the flow of data from your head end to the end device. You can also create your own network with the open technology.
- LoRa Alliance Point to Point 20 mile range
- L + G Airpoint (up to 5 in one meter)
- Cat M1 Modem Meter on Verizon’s system
- Nexgrid - Provides multi-mesh solution for electric, water, gas, street, lighting, distribution automation and much more
- Data on Demand, a Vision Product in use for 10 years
- Verizon Gridwide distributor and installer Modem
Legacy Drive-By AMR
High Power RF module (ERT equivalent)
- Programmable transmission rate (3-30 seconds)
- Up to 5 ERT radios per meter
- At the request of customers, Vision designed our meters to support 5 SCM IDs – while the industry standard remains 3
- TIM available for the Itron MV-90 System
- This allows the utility to bring back full TOU information
Data On Demand
Data on Demand is a very simple system designed to read your meters automatically as often as every one minute. Vision Meters, equipped with 900 Mhz radios, transmit a string of data on a routine basis, (typically every 10 seconds). The meter’s data will be collected by any DataGate installed within 1000 meters and within a clear line of sight. The DataGate can be connected to the Internet via Ethernet or information can be repeated via other DataGates. A direct connection can also be made to the DataGate from a nearby computer which also has a DataGate connected.
Once per minute the EndSight software will poll the DataGates to acquire all collected information. Vision’s singlephase, network and polyphase meters equipped with 900 Mhz radios will work in the Data on Demand System. The 20/20 Programming Software is used to select the data that the meter will transmit to the DataGate . Vision’s EndSight Software will collect, store and report all collected information. Data from EndSight can be exported to Excel and other spreadsheets.
EndSight is a powerful, easy to use software written by Vision Metering to collect information from the DataGates. It provides the ability to get real time data and detect system anomalies related to voltage and current.
- 900 MHZ RF
- Data on Demand-real time, fixed network system providing voltage, current, and power as often as 15 seconds intervals
- Voltage (per phase)
- Current (per phase)
- Power factor
- Extremely low infrastructure cost
- Data is collected via Vision Metering’s EndSight software
- Data also available using Modbus protocol for integration into building automation systems
- 1S, 120V, Class 100
- 2S, 240V or 480V, Class 200 or Class 320
- 3S, 240V, Class 20
- 4S, 240V, Class 20
- 5S, 120V/480V, Class 20
- 6S/36S, 120480V, Class 20
- 12S, 120/208V, Class 200
- 8S/9S, 120480V, Class 20
- 14S/15S/16S, 120480V, Class 200 or Class 320
- ANSI C12.12001 for electricity metering
- ANSI C12.101987 for watthour meters
- ANSI C12.20 1998 for solid state electricity meters
- ANSI C37.90.11989
- ANSI C12.18
- ANSI C12.19
Verizon Grid Wide
Vision Metering has partnered with Verizon Wireless to incorporate their Grid Wide Cat M1 modem into Vision’s Meter. Between the lower cost of the Cat M1 modem and Vision’s already low cost meters, a more cost effective solution is available to our mutual customers. Verizon’s Grid Wide solution offers customers a plug and play option for metering. The custimer only has to plug the meter in and the Grid Wide system does the rest. The Verizon Cat M1 modem is mounted to the Vision XT meter PCB and can be installed in all meter forms. An optional 200 amp switch is available in Form 2S and 12S meters. The meter/modem combination is also available as a UL listed device. Vision meters are equipped with 12 channels of Load Profile, TOU, Reactive, Net Metering, 4 quadrant metering, Demand, Voltage Sag & Swell and Current. There is no extra charge for and of the above functionality.
- ANSI C12.18, C12.19, C12.20, & C37.90.1 Compliant
- Avialable Shielded Current Transformer(s) for magnetic tampering avoidance
- 120 - 480 Input Voltage
- 2 Channels Load Profile, TOU, Demand, Reactive, 4 Quadrant Metering, Net metering are Standard
- 400 events can be stored in the event Log
- Alternate Mode with programmable display values
- Accuracy Class +/- 0.2%
- Designed for 20 Year Life
- Battery options for Display, Ram, and Clock
- Continuous Instantaneous KW
- Uses Vision 20/20 Software for Programming (included with meters at no charge)
- 50/60 Hz +/- 5%
- 200 Amp Switch Option
- 30 Digit User Defined Security Key
- -40 to +85 Degree C Operation
- 5 to 95% Relative Humidity